Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

What's for Dinner Wednesday--Recycling (that oughta make you at least read on!)

Haven't done a W4DW post in a while, might be kinda rusty.........as if that title didn't already point THAT fact out to you!!! LOL

My post today is about recycling, it really is..............before you start gagging and carrying on, keep reading!!!

Okay, who out there throws away the last slice or so of bread on a regular basis? Yes I am looking for a show of hands, you're nodding your head, yeah I see you!

In my attempt to not be so wasteful and the frugal-ness of a mother of 4 trying to stretch a budget, I finally figured out in my almost 43 years of age just WHAT I could do with those last few slices and the heal, or is it heel, hmmm not sure..........


CROUTONS


The Farmer, my littles and myself are pretty regular salad eaters along with our steaks, roasts and other various cuts of beef. It really bugs me to pay for croutons that rarely last a week at our house (people tend to grab the bag and snack on them, BESIDES their supposed serving suggestion as a salad garnish, who knew?)

Yes I am rambly and wordy today, mostly because I only have a few pictures, the recipe is really short and I am oh so proud of myself for figuring out a 'free solution' to this crouton dilemma that has plagued the farmhouse at H&K for years now.

Ah yes, back to the business at hand, the recipe. I have made you suffer long enough, so here goes:

1 tablespoon melted butter for every 3-4 slices of bread
Bread
Season Salt
Garlic Powder
Parsley Flakes

Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.

Slice your bread into cubes.


Melt the butter (microwave 30 seconds generally gets that)

Into your melted butter add the seasonings and no I don't measure this..........scientifically, I would say several shakes. Is that close enough?

Pour the seasoned melted butter over your bread cubes. Stir to coat evenly. Spread on a cookie sheet into a single layer.

Bake approximately 20 minutes (--ish) or until your cubes have become CROUTONS and are to the desired hardness/dryness. After cooling, store in a airtight container. (I use a ziplock bag)

Obviously you could season these however you prefer, that's just the combo that my family seems to like the most. I really don't see myself buying them again. In our household of carrying cold lunch to school, there's ALWAYS an abundance of 'the end of the loaf of bread'

JH, my little future farm woman/cooks helper made TWO batches this last weekend. We've only had salad's once this week and the croutons have disappeared. Guess I should employ her to make more.

Enjoying the sunshine and glad it seems that possibly Spring has arrived to stay,

From Tulip~

KH

:)

1 comment:

Laurie - Country Link said...

Great job mama Kathy and little helper JH! I almost always throw out the heels, but now now. Will be giving this a try and I think the kids can help.
Great post for the County Fair Blog Party!